<p dir=”ltr”>Black friday mattress sales offer some of the best savings of the year, so if your bed is no longer giving you sweet dreams it may be a good time to buy a new mattress. Learn how to determine whether your current bed is still providing the support you need before committing to a major purchase, and what to expect and look for when shopping holiday deals.
Signs it’s Time to Buy a New Mattress
Is your mattress providing the support you need to sleep well? There are several ways to tell if you might need a new bed, from how old your current mattress is to how you feel when you wake up. Take a look this checklist to see you should put a new mattress on your holiday wish list.
|Innerspring Beds||5-8 years||bonnell and offset coil shorter lifespan, continuous and pocket coil longer lifespan|
|Memory Foam Beds||5-10 years||low-density memory foam shortest lifespan, high-density longest|
|Latex Beds||7-12 years||synthetic latex shorter lifespan, natural latex longer|
|Waterbeds||5-10 years||depends on puncture prevention and vinyl quality|
- The average mattress lasts around 7 years. If your current mattress is older than this, there is a good chance it no longer offers enough support. Check the chart above to see more specific lifespans by mattress type.
- Do you wake up feeling tired, or stiff and sore? These are signs that your mattress is no longer providing adequate support.
- Do you find yourself tossing and turning, and unable to get comfortable? Pressure points and pain created by a worn down bed are often responsible tossing and turning and sleep loss.
- How does your bed look? Pull back the covers to look for signs of lumps, sagging, hammocking or body impressions. Depressions of even less than one inch can greatly decrease sleep quality, although many coil mattresses have warranties that don’t kick in at the same point discomfort begins.
- Do you sniffle and sneeze at night or in the morning? Older beds and pillows can accumulate dust mites and mold that may exacerbate allergies and asthma.
- Do you often sleep better on the couch or at a hotel? These are signs that your bed is no longer providing the comfort and support your body needs.
- A significant weight loss or gain, for yourself or a partner, can influence whether or not your mattress continues to provide the support your body needs.
- People over 40 typically need to replace their mattresses sooner than younger adults or children, since their bodies may be more sensitive to pressure points.
What to Expect During Black Friday Mattress Deals
If you think you need to buy a new mattress in the next few months, Black Friday mattress deals are an excellent time to get a good value. Since deals will be coming out in the two weeks leading up to the holiday, it is a good idea to get an early start. Depending on the store, the sales may start as early as Thanksgiving morning, and run through Friday, the weekend, or through Cyber Monday. For more on how mattress types compare in terms of comfort and satisfaction, check out our previous articles and guides.
Black friday mattress sales on innerspring beds are usually fairly common and widespread at both national mattress chains and department stores. Usually retailers will offer a couple “doorbuster” promotional models at very low prices (less than $500 for queen sets), but these often have fairly low-end specifications may not be a good long-term value. They also usually offer discounts on regular models that may range from 10-30% of normal sales prices. Other common deals include free boxsprings and delivery for people who buy a new mattress.
Memory Foam Mattresses
Black Friday deals on memory foam mattresses are little harder to find in stores, especially for major name brands. Retailers that carry Serta iComfort and Tempurpedic are usually prohibited from discounting the product, but may offer freebie pillows or boxsprings or in-store gift cards instead. Discount retailers like Sears and Costco may offer discounts of 20-30% on selected models (usually lower density foams). Online retailers like Amerisleep usually offer competitive Black Friday mattress deals as well, with savings of a couple hundred dollars or more, and shipping or freebie offers to compete with local shops.
Latex mattresses are not discounted very often, even during Black Friday mattress sales. Because natural latex is expensive and not widely available, your best bet for getting a good deal is most likely with online retailers, which may offer 10-20% off, or shipping and freebie promotions. Local retailers may have some deals on blended latex beds or latex-spring hybrids, but discounts are not likely to be as steep as other bed types.
Waterbeds are fairly difficult to find in local shops and few promote Black Friday mattress deals for them. However, online retailers will most likely run sales or coupons for the holiday, or include accessory packages with purchases.
Buy a New Mattress on Black Friday and Save Big, But Don’t Forget to Shop Smart
Once you know you need to buy a new mattress, the best way to approach Black Friday mattress deals is to start shopping early and figure out what type of bed you want well before the day of the sales. This will allow you to focus on deals that are most relevant to you, and going in knowing what you want rather than settling on a deal can help prevent buyer’s remorse down the road.
Internet deal websites are perhaps the best way to get a head start on 2013 Black Friday deals, with retailer websites and news outlets also providing information. Focus on the terms of the sales and consider what is actually being offered. Some offers may be non-returnable or may come with reduced or no warranties. Others may have poor-quality materials that will wear down years before a slightly more expensive bed, rendering the overall value low. Also consider what you actually need and compare Black Friday mattress deals from several retailers to see which offers the best buy for YOU. Many brands will offer a free boxspring or pillows when you buy a new mattress, but if you don’t need these items then another deal might offer better savings.
We Handpicked Some Best Deals for You
Once you have a few options in mind, don’t forget to do your “due diligence” and research the mattresses. In this industry, beds can offer deceptive appearances and retailers can be less than forthcoming with specification information necessary to determine the true quality of the bed or compare it with other retailers’ offerings. Make sure you know and understand what each layer of the mattress is made of, and how this compares to other options. Also check on warranty terms to see how long coverage is provided, exactly what is covered, and how deep impressions must be for coverage to kick in. The other important part of researching to buy a new mattress is checking consumer reviews, which can prove invaluable. Take a look at reviews on the retailer or brand websites, as well as on third party sites and review forums to see what people like and dislike about the mattresses.
Safety 1st Heavenly Dreams White Crib Mattress
- High density thermo-bonded core provides firm support
- Lightweight and durable for long-lasting use throughout your child's development
- Outer Cover: Vinyl laminated with Polypropylene
- Product Dimensions: 52.5"L x 27.5"W x 5.5"H - Thickness: 5.5 inches
- The Safety 1st Heavenly Dreams mattress has achieved GREENGUARD GOLD Certification
Money in the Mattre$$: The Sales Associates' Guide to Premium Mattress Sales
13 used from $ 16.84
- Used Book in Good Condition
Sunbeam Quilted Polyester Heated Mattress Pad with EasySet Pro Controller, Queen
1 used from $ 90.00
- 145 Thread Count
- EasySet Pro Controller with 10 heat settings and 10-hour auto-off function
- ThermoFine® technology senses and adjusts to deliver consistent warmth while you sleep.
- Machine washable and dryer safe.
- Never climb into a cold bed again
Spring Training: A Supplementary Guide to Mattress Sales
2 used from $ 19.95
The Mattress Guidebook: The Definitive Guide to Memory Foam Mattress
Queen (9-12 in. Deep) SureGuard Mattress Encasement - 100% Waterproof, Zippered - Six-Sided Premium Quality Cover - Blocks Bed Bugs, Dust Mites & Stains - 30 Day Return Guarantee, 10 Year Warranty
- 100% Waterproof - Six-sided premium mattress protector blocks perspiration, bed wetting, liquids and stains; 10-year quality guarantee
- Bed Bug Proof - Super fine zipper with Invisi-Zip and SureSeal technology completely seals off the mattress from bed bugs - use with a SureGuard Box Spring Encasement
- Hypoallergenic - Blocks dust mites, allergens, bacteria, mildew and mold - use with SureGuard Pillow Protectors
- Soft & Noiseless - 100% cotton terry top; Wicks away moisture; Retains the feel of your mattress - Free from Vinyl, PVC, Phthalates, fire retardants and other toxic chemicals
- Queen (60 in x 80 in) - Fits 9 to 12 inches deep; Zippered Mattress Encasement - Machine wash and dry
Bedsack Classic Mattress Pad Queen Size, White
2 used from $ 21.50
- Top fabric that's soft and quiet with a stylish and functional sonic double onion quilted pattern 2
- Unique design completely covers and protects top and side of mattress 3
- 2 ounces of super soft low melt Perfect Puff polyester fiberfill 4
- Hypo-allergenic; machine wash & dry 5
- Extremely economical solution to rejuvinate your mattress.
Tuft & Needle Mattress, Queen
- Not too soft, not too hard-it's a universal comfort that's been fine tuned to evenly and comfortably distribute your body weight
- Pressure relief as good as memory foam, and sleeps cooler than memory foam and latex
- Has bounce for night activities and is easy to get in and out of bed, with localized movement that prevents disturbing sleep partners
- Proudly made in America with an honest, hassle-free 10-year warranty you can actually use
- The Tuft & Needle Mattress sold on Amazon comes with a 30 day trial. If purchased through Amazon, all returns and exchanges are handled via their customer support in accordance with the Amazon Return Policy.
Warp Brothers CB-70 Banana Bags Mattress Bag for Queen or Full, 70-Inch by 92-Inch
- Mattress bag
- Yellow tinted see through 2 mil plastic is tough and durable
- Great for moving and mini warehouses
- Made in USA